We help you test on many devices for free.
These days, websites are required to work on phones and tablets as well as laptops. Making sure your web-based product works across a wide range of browsers and screen sizes can be a costly affair in terms of hardware. MODL is a community-operated device testing lab, where you can test on loads of devices for free.
Use the lab
It’s very simple:
- Write down when you would like to use the lab
- Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We’ll get back to you and help set it up.
- No more steps!
If there are specific challenges regarding testing or availability, we’ll solve them along the way.
The device collection
Our devices are generously donated by members. Members still own the device, but agree to let guests of the lab use it. These are the devices that have been donated so far:
|Device type||OS/version||Donated by|
|Amazon Kindle 4||Kindle 4.0 (1308590058)||Björn Söderqvist|
|Apple iPhone 3||iOS 4.2.1||Patric Jonsson|
|Apple iPhone 4||iOS 5.0||onereason|
|Apple iPad 1||iOS 5.1.1||onereason|
|Apple iPad Retina (4)||iOS 6.0.1||onereason|
|Apple iPhone 4||iOS 6.0||tregusti|
|Google Nexus One||Android 2.3.6||Patric Jonsson|
|HP Palm Pre 2||WebOS 2.1||Björn Söderqvist|
|Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100||Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread)||Claus Topholt|
|Samsung Galaxy W GT-I8150||Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)||onereason|
|Sony PSP||PSP System Software||Björn Söderqvist|
|Sony Xperia Arc||Android 4.0.4||Stefan Stensson|
|Sony Xperia S||Android 4.0.4||InUse|
Do you have any devices laying around?
Share it with the community—get in touch!
We especially need more Android devices, smartphones as well as tablets.
Good to know
There is normally a spare laptop (Macbook Pro) in the lab, fitted with a range of tools to try out:
- Adobe Edge Inspect, a tool to sync navigation, take screenshots and debug code across many devices simultaneously
- Loads of old and new versions of web browsers on PC, Mac and Linux
- Virtual machines for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, including various versions of Internet Explorer, plus Ubuntu-based Linux Mint Cinnamon.
- Tools for debugging HTTP-requests
Housekeeping rules are available when you book a session, but mostly we expect you to be generally civil and pop out of the lab for a (free!) coffee now and then, with the people working in the office.